Sunday, September 20, 2015

Lessons Learned From Kneeling (And the Sacrament)

I had the opportunity to go to one day of BYU's Education week last month.

Since I was only able to go on Friday (due to school other days) I prayed really hard that I would be able to go to the best classes for me possible. Heavenly Father helped me pick the best classes I could learn from!

One of the teachers I went to was Richard Holzapfel. He is a gospel scholar  and has done a lot of good for the church.

He talked on the significance and symbolism of kneeling. The class was titled, "Kneeling as a sign of humility, dependence on God, and worship."

I will address 3 things in this post that I learned from Brother Holzapfel.
1. Various scriptures describing the significance of kneeling.
2. The opposition in kneeling.
3. Kneeling during the Sacrament prepares us for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

1. Various Scriptures Describing the Significance of Kneeling


One of my Institute teachers told me that if we would study the Temple worship in the Bible we would know exactly what happens in our modern Temples. The Church in Christ's time is the same as in these latter days - that's why its called the restored church - not the brand new church.

Just as we can learn about the Temple, the Bible and Book of Mormon have many accounts on learning how to worship our Lord - specifically in kneeling.

Here are a few examples:

Psalm 95:6-7 "O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our maker.  For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand."

1 Kings 8:54 "And it was so, that when Solomon had made an end of praying all this prayer and supplication unto the Lord, he arose from before the altar of the Lord, from kneeling on his knees with his hands spread up to heaven."

Solomon was on kneeling on the altar of the Lord just like couples kneel when they are being sealed in the Temple. 

 Acts 20:36 "And when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all."

Mark 1: 40 "And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean."

I love this leper. I've learned 2 lessons from him as I've written this. 1. This verse is like the process of prayer. We often beseech God in our lives, kneel down unto him and ask him to help make us whole. 2. This man also shows humility, dependence on God and worship. I believe Faith is the cornerstone of showing those three actions.

2. Three Examples of Kneeling and the Opposition That Comes Afterwards.


As the title of Brother Holzapfel address is "kneeling resembles humility, dependence on God and worship," here are some numerous life changing events have started with kneeling. Notice how they kneeled, prayed, then there was opposition from Satan to try to destroy them. Some examples:

Daniel in the Lions Den:

 Daniel was loved by King Darius. This made the other presidents and princes around jealous so they sought to destroy him, but they couldn't find any faults. The only thing they could think of was to go against Daniels beliefs of God. They went to King Darius and flattered him enough he made a law no one in the land could worship any God but could only worship the king. Daniel had such courage and faith that he would not listen to that law. He stayed true to God. "Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime."

You see, he kneeled and showed humility towards God submitting his will to Gods - then the opposition came where he was cast into the lions den. I truly believe him kneeling helped a lot to let God know whatever happened to him he would trust in His will. 

Joseph Smith's Vision of God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ:

Notice again that Joseph kneeled to pray then the opposition came.

 "After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction."

Incredible! There was such evil at that moment in Joseph's life, but it makes me realize how much truth and light there was in kneeling right before the evil. Opposition in all things is real.

The greatest example of kneeling ever known to man is the example of our Savior Jesus Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Luke 22: 39-42 "And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.
 And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."
The most monumental occasions in all of eternity - Christ's performance of the Atonement - began with Christ kneeling.

He showed and continues to show complete humility, dependence on his Father and continuous worship.

There is no better example of how we should act than that of Jesus Christ himself. 

So, shouldn't we be kneeling more often? If Jesus Christ commanded in 3 Nephi for the disciples to kneel and the whole congregation for that matter, shouldn't we be follow that commandment also?

 

3 Nephi 19:16 "And it came to pass that he spake unto the multitude, and commanded them that they should kneel down again upon the earth, and also that his disciples should kneel down upon the earth."


Now, here is probably the most exciting part in my opinion. 

3. Kneeling during the Sacrament prepares us for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

 

D&C 20: "And the elder or priest shall administer it; and after this manner shall he administer it—he shall kneel with the church and call upon the Father in solemn prayer, saying:" (sacrament prayer)...

 

The Sacrament table represents the altar of sacrifice and we kneel at that because Jesus Christs body is symbolized on the altar. Even though we don't kneel physically we should be kneeling mentally to Jesus Christ. Why? Going back to 3 Nephi again when Christ commanded the multitude and his disciples to kneel before him. 

 

 We are to kneel inside our hearts with the priests during the Sacrament.  Repeat the words they say in our minds. 

 

Why? Because this will prepare us for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Every Knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess Jesus Christ at the Second Coming. When we bow every week in our hearts during the Sacrament we are preparing ourselves now so that when Jesus Christ comes to rule the earth we will be prepared to kneel in His presence then.

 

 So, my challenge to all of us is simply to kneel. I'm trying to be more diligent in kneeling in prayer, but it's so much more than that. It's more than simply kneeling. It shows our devotion to God. 

 

 May we kneel more often so we can become as prepared as we can to kneel at our beloved Saviors feet when He returns to this earth, is my prayer and supplication.





No comments:

Post a Comment