Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Refiners Fire - To Become Like God

I have wondered (as I think most people have wondered before) why I have gone through trials. Why do I have the specific trials I have? Why do I continue to go through trials? Will they ever end?

Being raised in the LDS church I have been blessed with the understanding of the 'why' we go through trials and what purpose they play in our lives.

I read this story in a book today and it touched my heart. It was another witness that the things I have learned why we go through trials are true. It lead me to thinking more about the trials in my life and in every one's lives that are there to help us become more faithful, charitable and ultimately more like God.

The Refiners Fire of Life:

There was once a group of women studying the book of Malachi in the Old Testament. As they were studying chapter three, they came across verse three which says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver. This verse puzzled the women, and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God. One of the women offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible study. 

That week this woman called up a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver. As she watch the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were the hottest as to burn away all the impurities. 

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot - then she thought again about the verse that he sits as a refiner and purifier of silver. She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. 

The man answered "Yes", and explained that he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was on the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be damaged.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?" 

He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy. When I see my image in it." 

If today you are feeling the heat of this world's fire, just remember that God has his eyes on you.

-Unknown

As we go through trials we are invited to (it's our choice to decide how we will be shaped from our trials) give up our pride, our natural man, our hearts, and our lives. If we give up all we have and care about on this Earth - which is nothing, God will give us all he has - which is everything.
 
Understanding the Reasons for Refining

Elder Faust gave a beautiful talk on this very subject. I invite you all to read this talk and see how it applies to your personal life. 
 
"Here then is a great truth. In the pain, the agony, and the heroic endeavors of life, we pass through a refiner’s fire, and the insignificant and the unimportant in our lives can melt away like dross and make our faith bright, intact, and strong. In this way the divine image can be mirrored from the soul. It is part of the purging toll exacted of some to become acquainted with God. In the agonies of life, we seem to listen better to the faint, godly whisperings of the Divine Shepherd.

Into every life there come the painful, despairing days of adversity and buffeting. There seems to be a full measure of anguish, sorrow, and often heartbreak for everyone, including those who earnestly seek to do right and be faithful. The thorns that prick, that stick in the flesh, that hurt, often change lives which seem robbed of significance and hope. This change comes about through a refining process which often seems cruel and hard. In this way the soul can become like soft clay in the hands of the Master in building lives of faith, usefulness, beauty, and strength. For some, the refiner’s fire causes a loss of belief and faith in God, but those with eternal perspective understand that such refining is part of the perfection process." (James E. Faust The Refiners Fire)


Here is a story of how a woman's challenges in her life helped her be more compassionate and  empathetic.

Our trials help us develop empathy. Empathy is a beautiful gift to help bless the lives of others, and I believe us sharing our trials (when prompted by the Spirit to) helps people more than us giving people advice. There is something so special about Empathy!

Christ is the Master of Empathy. He went through everything that everyone has been through. He truly knows how we feel. 

A Challenge: To Be Grateful 

 When I complain about my trials and challenges my life becomes miserable and I'm grumpy. In the scriptures I've been beginning to see how important it is to be thankful in all things - especially our trials. 

My favorite part Elder Faust said, "For some, the refiners fire causes a loss of belief and faith in God, but those with eternal perspective understand that such refining is part of the perfection process."

 When I am grateful for my trials (and I'm just beginning to truly try to be more grateful) I feel so much happier. As I am trying to understand that my trials are to help me become more like God it gives a greater perspective and is a lot easier for me to endure those challenges. 

We will come to an understanding that our trials will one day end. If we endure well and accept Heavenly Fathers plan, Jesus Christ has promised us that, "all that my Father hath shall be given unto him." D&C 84:38

Let us "submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." Mosiah 24:15

There are exciting and challenging times up a ahead, but I am confident that if we are grateful we will have that eternal perspective and stay on the road that leads home to our Heavenly Father.








No comments:

Post a Comment