Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Tender Mercies: Lessons Learned From Quails

Yesterday morning I looked out my window and saw a Papa Quail sitting there. I then looked at the bottom of my windowsill and saw a Mama Quail sitting there. As I was watching her she was chirping quite a bit - as she could see me very clearly - then I noticed something move beneath her... a baby! Then I noticed 2 babies and I thought that was all she had. They were about the size of my thumb - so you can imagine they were the most adorable fluffy balls I've ever incountered.

My Mom came to look at them and thought the Mama Quail would feel better if we made them a home so I would stop staring at them and make her feel defensive... :)

We made a make-shift home out of a box and I opened my window and set it next to the Momma. All of a sudden she flew away and there were 1,000,000 babies running EVERYWHERE. More like 15 babies but compare me thinking there were 2 to suddenly 15 running out from under the Momma - it was a lot.

We were satisfied with our home and I left them there.

A few minutes later my Mom came in again to tell me that she found on Google someone who had a similar situation with the Papa Quail pacing back and forth and the babies not being able to get out, so we knew we had to get the babies out somehow so they could be free.

My dream come true, I climbed through my window (the Mamma quail flew away) and we picked up the babies (that were running everywhere) and set them on the grass. 2 Babies ran into my room so I caught them while my Mom got the other ones. They were so precious. Once they were out of the windowsill their Momma came back to gather them.

My Mom and I went on a few errands and came back and a little baby had fallen back into the windowsill and was chirping and running around trying to get free. I went and talked to him to let him know I was there to help. I noticed his Dad was waiting next to the windowsill because he knew his son was still there (I decided it was a boy). I set the baby free and he ran under a bush next to his Dad. I think Papa Quail thanked me for helping his son. I could tell he was grateful.

I told my Mom and she thought it was so incredible that the Papa would wait for his child. A Fathers role is to provide, preside and protect... and this Papa Quail did just that.

About an hour later another little bird (I'm thinking the same one) fell into my Moms windowsill and I set him free. I looked around for his Mom and after a few minutes found her, set him down and he ran to her - so happily.

How This Applies to Tender Mercies

People who know me quite well know that I love animals. Growing up we had over 70 animals (Not all at once) :). 30 Koy Fish/regular fish, 15 Hamsters/guinea pigs, 25 cats/dogs and a goat etc... So I love animals.

We haven't been able to have a house pet (I long for a cat or duck or horse.. ha! Mostly cat) for the past 4 yearsish due to different circumstances and it has been really hard on me.

So, the fact that Heavenly Father knows how much I love all the animals of the Earth and aren't able to have one right now, He showed His loving mercy by letting the Mamma Quail have her children in my windowsill - and to add to it He let me hold them while trying to set them free.

He also has blessed me with a duck pond at BYU where I can go feed my beautiful duck friends and have them eat out of my hand. And up Provo canyon my Mom and I have found a piece of land where I can pet some of my horse friends which I love so dearly.

Heavenly Father is so good to us. He knows our needs, wants and circumstances. What may be a tender mercy for me - animals in this case - might not be a tender mercy for you. That's whats incredible. He knows us each so personally and intimately He provides what is most meaningful to us. What a loving Father we all have.

Scriptures and Words From the Brethren on Tender Mercies

It was definitely not a coincidence that on Sunday in Relief Society we talked about this very subject - Tender Mercies. God's timing is so perfect.

Elder Bednar gave a beautiful talk on Tender Mercies and said, "Some may count these experiences as simply a nice coincidence, but I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them."

Yes, all things testify of Christ and His goodness. I have realized while talking about it how much the Lord has shown His mercy to me in my life and specifically the past 2 years. I invite you to see how the Lord has been merciful to you in your life.

There are 76 scriptures in the Book of Mormon that have the word 'mercy' in them. Here are a few I specifically chose out.

1 Nephi 1:20 "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

1 Nephi 8:8 " And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies."

3 Nephi 22: 7-8, 10 "For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment, but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord the Redeemer.
"For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee." 

Ether 6:12 "And they did land upon the shore of the promised land. And when they had set their feet upon the shores of the promised land they bowed themselves before the Lord, and did shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them."

Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are merciful to everyone. From Nephi who saw the wickedness of Jerusalem and was cast out, to Lehi, who prayed while in his vision of the tree of life to be delivered from the darkness, and Christ being merciful to the Jewish people in the last days after their many tribulations for the crucifixion of Christ, to the Jaredites being guided across the sea to the promised land in the 8 barges - I again say, God is merciful to everyone.

Lastly, Moroni 10:3 - the last chapter in the Book of Mormon. "Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts."

From the beginning to the end of the Book of Mormon the Lord shows how merciful He is. From Nephi's words to Moroni's words and everything inbetween, we see how grand Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are.

I hope we can all ponder in our hearts, as Moroni urges us to, how merciful God has been to us, our families, our ancestors, America, all continents, all worlds, everything and everyone. If we do I believe we would be changed forever. Only things of true importance would we choose to put into our lives.

"When we put God first (acknowledge his tender mercies) all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives." - Ezra Taft Benson




No comments:

Post a Comment